View Single Post
Old 01-12-2018, 11:33 AM   #50
evileeyore
Banned

Default Re: Custody of federal prisoners convicted at court martial or unfit for trial

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Colonel View Post
Speaking of prisons, how plausible would it be for a facility - especially one of these high isolation super-max facilities - to have a person listed as being imprisoned without them actually being there?
'Empty bed' style or 'mistaken identity' style?

From what my neighbor says (he worked a mid-level prison as a guard, it had both high and low security areas) the "empty bed' listing wouldn't fly for long. His prison (back in the mid-90s) was audited at least yearly (a few times they got audited quarterly, and at least two audits were surprise audits that he remembers - since audits messed everything up for a few days), which basically amounts to a 'head count'.

Sure, if prisoner So-and-So is listed as say black, and there's a non-black guy assigned to his cell, that wouldn't fly (as the auditors did at least briefly glance at each prisoner to make sure prisoners weren't being shuffled), but the 'mistaken identity' would have gone right by them.

It would have taken an oddly detail oriented auditor to recognize someone wasn't who the roll said they were, or one who took the cries of "But I'm not So-and-So, I'm wrongly in here!" to heart and went digging on their own (which is highly unlikely).
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote