safisher
Gunnery Sergeant,
 Imperial Marines
Coauthor,
 GURPS High-Tech

Default Re: Logistically Viable Weapons AtE

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
You haven't really addressed the big problem, where are these roving gangs of sociopaths?
LOL! I didn't know I had to solve this problem! The whole juvenile justice and mental health systems are asking these questions. They have some ideas, but there's nothing definitive.

Quote:
Why don't the crime statistics show an increase in violent crime where you see an increase in video game culture?
There might be a lot of countervailing societal influences in a post 9-11 world. More parental supervision, better policing, more or less incarceration, better schooling policies, better-protected schools, economic factors, generational attitudes, etc.

Quote:
Why do we, in fact, see the opposite? I think that it should be quite clear that Grossman's prediction of groups of sociopathic gamers hasn't manifested at all.
It seems like we have deadlier school shootings now, for one, if not more of them. And we have significantly more protected schools, as well. Armed cops at most schools, more school drills for active shooters, and so forth would tend to suppress violence, etc. of all types. In other words, from the late 1990s to now the social environment is radically different. Apples and oranges.

Quote:
Where is this going anyway? I suppose that if we are to take On Killing at face value, and apply it to the OP, and get back on topic, the answer is "No weapon, because you shouldn't be playing violent games."
The op was asking about guns, and I wrote an article on that. I've done my work for that aspect of his question.