Tomsdad

Default Re: Face & Neck location damage multiplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maz View Post
Is see your points.
Cheers

Quote:
I would just be very wary of making those locations even more "high priority targets" as they are already really good. This is further enforced by the fact that specifically those two locations (neck and face) is the locations most often not armoured or if having armour, it's usually significantly lowers than torso, skull and limbs.
Yeah this was my worry, (and partly why I justified upping the neck penalty to -6).

Another issue is that In GURPS as a roleplaying game if we are running characters who intend to do a lot of fighting then they tend to be above average fighters. Most PC's in a typical campaign probably rack up more direct combat time than the most grizzled RL veterans. So skill level tend to be quite high especially in comparisons to 'ordinary combatants, this and all the options for adjusting your chances to hit can mean that deliberate wounds to the neck and face probably end up occurring more often than 'RL' would otherwise suggest.

Now that's fine for heroes throat slashing mooks and spear carriers, but presents a bit more of problem when you want to give them a bit more of challenge.

However that said it would encourage more defensive fighting which I'd be all for (but tastes vary of course).

So all in in all I'd class the kind of adjustment I suggested as something akin to "harsh realism for getting stabbed in the face and neck" etc.

Quote:
How about just upping the chance to hit an artery to 2/6 instead then? Its still a significant boost over the torso.

That's a big boost, and could work well. although since its just a factor of one role and nothing else it could also be a bit disconnected and random.

I see it as there are five areas were GURPS shows the effects injury and trauma.

1). HP loss and major wound
2). Mechanical facility loss (a crippled arm can't be used)
3). Knockdown, stun and shock
4). Bleeding
5). Lotion specific adjustments to damage multipliers (although you could argue this is a subset of HP loss etc)

All of those has different effects over different time scales which I think is fine*, and each location incurs them in different ways which is also fine*. I guess ultimately I guess I just want to see more differentiation for these locations in more of these areas.
However there is some already so I guess its more a POV on weather there is enough rather than if there is any at all

*and when I say fine I mean another reason why I like GURPS so much! We couldn't even be having this conversation in most systems.

Last edited by Tomsdad; 03-23-2013 at 05:51 AM.
Tomsdad is offline   Reply With Quote