Drifter

Default Re: Empress Marava-Class?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans Rancke-Madsen View Post
A few more Imperial empresses:

Antiama, wife of Zhakirov.
Elbet, wife of Paulo III.
Iolanthe, wife of Strephon.

And if you'll forgive me sneaking in a non-canonical creation of my own, Charmian, wife of Styryx. She's the empress featured in Celestine Floridore's blockbuster romance, The Three Guardsmen. ;-)

As names for what is supposedly an ubiquitous Imperium-wide workhorse, there aren't nearly enough Imperial empresses to furnish all the names needed even if you come up with wives for all the other emperors (and perhaps even an empress or two). You can expect to have a lot more named for non-Imperial empresses. Maybe even some named for strong female rulers who weren't empresses at all.

Hans
I would expect this is the case, due to the sheer number of ships. Although you can have an "Empress Marava II" (or more), and maybe a name repeated per sector, or less, as long as it didn't cause too much confusion. Official records are going to be based on its serial number, not its human-readable name.

If the Empress Marava, registered on Mora, has a more or less regular route through several subsectors of the Spinward Marches, then another Empress Marava could be operating in Deneb without even knowing the existence the other. And if law enforcement ever needs to know about one or the other, heaven forbid, they go by the ship's serial numbers.
Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote