View Single Post
Old 02-23-2021, 07:14 AM   #20
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Default Re: [Basic] Advantage of the Week: Insubstantiality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otaku View Post
For those using Insubstantiality as Invincibility, remember that means the source of damage is still there/passing through you. Under most circumstances, I don't think that can be handled as fluff. Where it does work is something like Superman getting caught in a big bomb blast and coming out fine. Where it doesn't work is Supes shielding innocent civillians, allies, etc. Then there's the bookkeeping (though maybe Cosmic handles most of that) remembering all the stuff about "true" Insubstantiality that applies to Invincibility-As-Insubstantiality.
There are some issues to using insubstantial as invincibility RAW. That's one of the largest ones. But since you can't buy real invincibility by RAW, that's an aspect of invincibility I'm happy to handwave.

Quote:
Maybe use IaI as an Alternate Ability to the appropriate amount of DR/IT?
That's not a bad idea. Or even just a big pile of DR. At some point even though you are invulnerable the damage will throw you to the side and proceed on its merry way, and being able to Detonate the shell doesn't sound off to me.

Quote:
I know I'm switching (sub)topics, but when it comes to using Insubstantiality offensively, as in, to directly harm someone, I recommend just having the character buy the appropriate form of Innate Attack (or similar Advantage), and the fluff is that it happens via their "phasing".
Yep. Pay for what you can do.

though if you have the partial enhancement and they have a big chamber in the center I might allow you to stick your hand in with a dagger and wave it around.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote