View Single Post
Old 08-08-2018, 09:17 AM   #20
Jim Kane
Banned

Default Re: Orcs as player characters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skarg View Post
The dwarf one I'm used to and like, but also wasn't sure where it came from. If it is "mining" well surely not every dwarf has that background.
I suppose it "comes from" Tolkien, the Brothers Grimm, or perhaps Gygax, or perhaps Walt Disney even; suffice it say the troupe as we understood it - and I too cannot say where this "comes from" - is that the damage bonus with hammers and the ability to carry extra heavy loads for Dwarves was purely a genetic bonus provided by generations upon generations of member of this race doing this thing over and over until it imprinted on the DNA of all members of the race itself.

This is why I have asked to understand the thinking behind the loss of one advantage, while another is retained; as both are generally considered to be immutable racial traits.

And, if they are indeed immutable racial traits, how does one then bifurcate them logically and reasonably; especially when asked by players who *know* Dwarves are like *this*, and you have to explain why they are not - or in our system - are no longer like that?

JK
Jim Kane is offline   Reply With Quote