View Single Post
Old 06-16-2018, 07:00 PM   #40
Kirk

Default Re: Melee Cover Preview

I have to say I agree. It's probably a card game where we each have sword cards of varying value, and some cards that provide armor and defensive moves. 1 to 7 players, 2 minutes per player play time. I'll get it for my grandniece! :)

Seriously, though, the art does make a difference. And players will all have to stare at it constantly while they play, look up rules, design characters, check the GM screen, etc. etc. The ones that buy it, that is, and aren't turned off before they give it a chance.

It's the same way I feel about the awful engineered suburban sprawl that has substituted for human living space over the past 70 years. It's so ugly I avoid it as much as possible. But it seems the majority of people either don't see it, or don't understand what is wrong with it, because they keep on buying and living in it. Maybe their electronics are a cheap diversion. How would someone convince them otherwise?

I think the art, both cover and internal, *can* make or break this game.

The trick is knowing what that art needs to be, and I wonder if any focus groups or other marketing tools have been used to try to get a read on what will draw interest and maintain it through the life of this game.

SJG is a successful game company, as far as I can tell. And Munchkin, for instance, seems to be one part of their success. What is appealing about that game? Card play, easy to learn, comic situations, comical art.

It's not my cup of tea, but maybe SJG is taking a clue from what has worked in the past...

Last edited by Kirk; 06-16-2018 at 07:05 PM.