View Single Post
Old 03-06-2018, 12:06 PM   #34
Skarg

Default Re: TFT and GURPS - where is the line between them?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk View Post
... And of course, when going into a pitched battle, as a knight or equivalent, armor probably makes sense, surely Aragorn used it. But most of our adventures are more of the stealth variety, where nimbleness, awareness, etc.are the watchword, not battlelines or castle sieges.
As someone who's played decades of medieval/ancient/Cidri/fantasy GURPS after TFT, the only real difference I see in the armor of the typical parties is more use of cloth and leather armor (more than TFT low-level characters because no DX penalty). The popularity of plate and chain in the GURPS adventurers I have seen is really about the same as it is in the TFT games I have played, i.e. uncommon because it's heavy/noisy/expensive and slows you down, but used by some tanks anyway, with mail more common than plate.

Quote:
And the lack of a sticky half-ZOC for characters in GURPS and the one-at-a-time sequence always felt disjointed and un-fun. Not just me, but everyone I knew who tried it, it was a no-go.
It took a little getting used to for me but now I entirely prefer it, and now TFT engagement feels static/limiting and off to me by comparison.

Quote:
It's not a matter of "realism", but enjoyment and playability. The point is that GURPS and other systems exist and have their fans, and I would hope that after so many years waiting for TFT it can retain its original appeal and dimension, however defined.
What do you think of allowing engaged figures to move away but suffer a free extra attack from the figure(s) they disengage?
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote