View Single Post
Old 11-20-2013, 03:35 PM   #14
ClayDowling

Default Re: Harkwood - character points and players less-than-fluent in the language

The language thing is definitely something to be worked out between you and the players, rather than with the rules. If you're using it as a teaching exercise, you might make a point of making sure that everybody understood what you've said. This is all social contract stuff though: the players have to know that it's okay to ask you to clarify something if they didn't understand your English.

i've been in their situation before, so I understand the pain. My aunt's sisters only have regular contact with Americans who speak both English and Spanish as natives in both tongues. Since they know I'm family, they also assume that my Spanish is quite fluent. Unfortunately for them, I've only had two years of school Spanish, so I can get basics if they speak slowly, but any idomatic phrases and I'm completely lost.

Best of luck with this experiment. GURPS Fantasy is an amazing thing: what I always wished other fantasy games could be. It seems like a great way to improve language schools.

Wonder if I can find a bilingual GURPS group around here....