View Single Post
Old 04-30-2014, 07:03 PM   #3
tantric
Banned

Default Re: Dreamworlds as Domains, Astral Cosmology

Ah, there you are! Yes, I've read it, it's brilliant. It's perfect for the Dryads in my fantasy campaign, whose Hometrees (allies) have pocket dimensions. Five years ago it took several pages to hash that out with payloads, your way is much better.

My conflict is that Dream Spheres (as you call them) are not pocket dimensions, they are pocket astral planes that you project into while you sleep. If I could figure out how to price just having a Dream Sphere, it would be simple to give it Accessibility (Sleeping) and maybe Uncontrollable - but that's not exactly right. A normal sleeper is not only at the mercy of his subconscious, he also doesn't know that he's asleep. I used be good a lucid dreaming - but being aware that your are dreaming and having Create/Control powers are two different things. How do you stat a lucid dreamer? I think that if I can just parley dream sphere into domains, I can go about building the Dream Psi powers that go with it.

The setting I'm creating is hugely animistic. Nightmares are very real things - creatures that parasitize your dream sphere. If you are projecting your spirit when you dream, then whatever afflictions or curses you encounter stay with you. It would also stand to reason that a person in a coma or other unrousable state would be lost, cord broken, spirit wandering the Inner Astral or whatever you call it - and that it would be possible to quest to find that spirit and restore the person.
tantric is offline   Reply With Quote