Thread: The One Ring...
View Single Post
Old 12-14-2006, 12:33 PM   #35
JAW

Default Re: The One Ring...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akahige
I wouldn't jump to the conclusion that it gives Invisibility to anybody. That's why I asked if it would grant powers limited to one's Talents. In the case of Hobbits, which tend to be overlooked by others, I think the Ring might just amplify that 'theme' by making them truly invisible.

Likewise, I supect that Gandalf would receive a boost in his innate magical abilities, Galadriel would become unbearably beautiful and charismatic, et cetera, all according to their own personal, racial, or social themes.
Oh - that makes lot of sense actually. And what Galadriel said about what would happen if she took the ring supports that.

On the other hand it does seem to hawe sort of effect on mowing the wearer to some sort of other realm, where the ringwraiths can actually see and be seen more clearly - and that realm seems harder to see into with corporeal eyes - the ringwraiths are pretty featureles when seen corporeally only but detailed in the "ringrealm"...

MAybe it's a bit of both.. But Akahiges theory is sort of aesthetical and since we're talking about literary thing that counts a lot... The tought of Boromir putting it on and becoming invisible doesn't seem nearly as cool as him putting it on and becoming a superwarlord unbeateable in combat and able to raise armies with few shouts, etc. But how to expres that in GURPS terms???

(On the other hand bilbo did not hawe ability to be ignored by other halflings - on the contrary he was a celebrity on bags end - yet he became invisible to other halflings too...)
JAW is offline   Reply With Quote