View Single Post
Old 12-09-2019, 08:49 AM   #8
larsdangly

Default Re: What is your campaign world

My Cidri campaign has a layout a little like Glorantha's 'Pavis' and 'Big Rubble' region: A city (quite large, with an extensive network of sewers) and a nearby region of cyclopean ruins (stretching tens of miles and going multiple levels deep), a surrounding region of river valley, hills, desert trade routes, etc., and some tele-connections to more distant and rarely visited islands and so forth.

The core concept is that the whole thing sits on the flanks of a supervolcano, which has erupted ever couple of thousand years, entombing the current city in ash, only to have another city re-emerge in the area within a few hundred years. The base map and some of the local areas are mapped from scratch, and pretty much all of the NPC's and sand-boxy story lines are freshly made up. But I also drop commercial products in willy-nilly, including Dyson Logos's stuff, all the old D+D pastel modules, Under Mountain, a bunch of good OSR megadungeons, and of course the published TFT adventures (like, Tollenkar's Lair is a half day travel from the main city gates, and Thorz's palace is on a big island a week's sail away).

I run the area as pure sandbox: the players start in or near the main city (depending on their character concept), and then they go where they want to go and do what they want to do until they over reach and get murdered by some gooey monster.
larsdangly is offline   Reply With Quote