View Single Post
Old 02-10-2014, 06:33 PM   #23
jason taylor

Default Re: Mission for Spec Ops - Opinions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gedrin View Post
I thought about this a bit more and it occurs to me that Hezbollah might not be your bad guy of choice for Lebanon in 2014.

Frankly, the place is a mess. Hezbollah is currently under pressure from what the West would call "jihadi" forces. This is because of Hezbollah's relationship with Syria. There's a lot of regional politicking with Saudi Arabia/Turkey/Iran stirring it up. A more interesting scenario might be an "enemy of my enemy" situation.

Hezbollah, using Mossad or Shin-bet intermediaries, wants a jihadi site taken out. Obviously, they'd rather not have the Israelis do it. However, they do need it done. America is almost as bad, but moving a step away might help keep Hezbollah fingerprints distant from the op. For Hezbollah, the ideal is that the site just die with no one knowing what happened. For Israel, chem weapons on border go away. For America, blowing up jihadis with chem weapons.

For the jihadis, dropping chem weapons on TelAviv from Lebanon provokes a cataclysmic response from Israel, depriving Syria of allies and helping to define their struggle as Islam vs. Israel.

To be honest, that part of the world is so weird right now, a Bond villain with a Bond plan to do Bond things wouldn't be beyond suspension of disbelief (except Moonraker...don't do that).
That sounds great, except the PCs will still be doing the same thing; who asked their bosses to order a raid is above their pay grade. Something like that as climax to an Espionage campaign might work. Perhaps once the players as CIA agents have arranged the under the table alliance, they can write up new characters to do the actual assault.