View Single Post
Old 09-17-2013, 12:13 PM   #40
Anthony

Default Re: So I dropped my sword... how do I pick it up (in combat)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
I believe that diving forward from standing to crawling, and then springing acrobatically back to standing, would look precisely like a foward roll or somersault if executed in rapid succession.
The difference is that in a somersault you convert your gravitational potential energy into kinetic energy when you drop, and then convert the kinetic energy back into gravitational potential when you stand. Dropping and standing as separate actions doesn't do this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
I'm not so sure on either count. Based on what I've seen among circus artists and dancers in the past few years of keeping their company, I'm fairly sure it's all possible in a second or even less. Models that assume basic running locomotion consistently undervalue controlled instability, leans, weight shifts, etc., especially when the arms and core come into play with springs and bridges. I've timed one guy's video wherein he runs three metres, throws a flying kick, falls, rolls, stands, and grapples in about 1.1 seconds.
I did specify 'standing start'. An action starts when you decide to do it, not when the foot is actually lifted or whatever -- the leaning and so on is part of the time requirement (now, if you're doing a sequence of moves, and during turn 2 of the sequence you move 5 yards, that's not a problem).

Real-world figures are available for olympic world-record runners, for example here. There generally aren't 5m splits, but there's 10m splits, the low end of which is 0.13s reaction time followed by 1.71s of acceleration with an instantaneous velocity of 8.71m/s at the end of that period and a mean velocity of 5.85 m/s. That gives us a hard limit of 5.85m in 1s, and a likely limit of closer to 4m, since presumably acceleration is not instant.

That's Olympic sprinter performance, from a runner's crouch. A basic speed 5 normal guy from a standing position should not do better.

Last edited by Anthony; 09-17-2013 at 12:28 PM.
Anthony is online now   Reply With Quote