Thread: cauldrons
View Single Post
Old 01-21-2021, 03:10 PM   #16
Polydamas

Default Re: cauldrons

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenfish View Post
Note that a caldron will almost certainly take less metal than a box of equal enclosed volume (and equal thickness), since a rounded shape has a lower surface-to-volume ratio than a rectangular prism- hence the reduced weights mentioned upthread. I don't know if there are any additional difficulties in working with a rounded vessel as opposed to flat sheets of metal that might bring the cost back up again.
I would just price a copper pot as bronze by weight, using the estimated weight in pounds and the GURPS Low Tech price for bronze. The alloy is likely to be on the cheap side, but it needs tinning to avoid copper getting into the food, so that probably evens out. I am too poor and nomadic to own a big copper cook pot so I am not sure how thick they tended to be.

In my Bronze Age game, I used the historical price of bronze and barley in the Amarna Age as the basic economic unit and had a rule of thumb for converting GURPS dollars to qa of barley or shekels of copper or silver. I based starting wealth on historical data from Deir el Medina.

This forum got less aggravating when I started using the ignore feature
Polydamas is offline   Reply With Quote