View Single Post
Old 12-16-2011, 08:45 PM   #12
demonsbane

Default Re: Pyramid #3/38: The Power of Myth

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason taylor View Post
I use "myth" primary to mean "Cosmic level tales told in an epic style" rather then "untruth".
I agree with myth not being synonymous with untruth, despite the pejorative, contemporary aception of the term. One of the original meanings of myth was related to (cognizable) mysteries, in the sense and context of the so-called "mystery cults" (and the innermost core of some religions, too). I'm saying this because the main goal of myth -but not the only one- isn't to be just "a fantasy of power" per se, but a bridge to attain transcendent knowledge: greek gnosis, hindu jnana, islamic Al Maarifa, hebrew wisdom . . .

In this sense, I liked to see that the adventure "The Golden Geniza of Ezkali" included in this Pyramid issue features
Spoiler:  
That is in line with "mythic patterns" and at the same time, why not, fits well with Dungeon Fantasy.

On the other hand, since there are many ancient cosmogonic myths portraying the immense power of divine entities, it's not difficult to understand how someone can think about them as "Cosmic level tales told in an epic style", albeit that won't be applicable to all of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason taylor View Post
Anyone who has the talent can rewrite the latest theory of physics that way and then it would be a "myth" even if it is true. Often a "myth" will have some figurative truth in it.
BTW, reading this mention of myth in relation to contemporary physics, made me to remember a related google+ entry, Science and Myth: "One forgets that science too has its mythology, and that the so-called truths at issue are also in a way mythical."

"Physics is basic but inessential."
Wolfgang Smith

My G+

Last edited by demonsbane; 12-16-2011 at 10:07 PM. Reason: typo
demonsbane is offline   Reply With Quote