View Single Post
Old 01-30-2018, 11:44 AM   #18
TheAmishStig

Default Re: Supercavitating OGRE Weapons...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColBosch View Post
Cybertanks are basically hunks of armor with weapons, sensors, and drivetrains embedded in them. Ogres are noted as "swimming" by driving along the bottom of waterways. It's the very setup for the original game; the Ogre moves onto the map out of a river. In addition, there is the fantastic bit about a cargo ship carrying five Ogres that was sunk on its way to Europe. Three came ashore anyway.

That said, the unusual boat-like hull of the Mark II was supposedly because it was designed, in part, for amphibious operations. Perhaps that one model can float, to some extent.
Which has terrifying implications, if you think about it.

Depending on where that freighter sunk, we're talking able to withstand crush pressures of over 500bar, and up to 850bar depending on how many trenches they had to ford to get there.

Now imagine the kind of firepower you'd need to punch a hole in something like that. Somehow, I get the feeling this is why "killing" an ogre is stopping it cold, stripping off its guns, and then making it glow so brightly nobody dares salvage it.

Which makes me wonder...are there any stories of a "Zombie" ogre, one that was full-on defeated [in game terms, 0 tread units + 0 weaponry], salvaged, repaired, 'brainwashed', and sent back into battle? I think the Vulcan rules [and/or a Vulcan scenario] involve retrieving a core, but what about the husk itself?

"They left you to spend eternity, or at least until your reactor ran out of fuel, trapped inside that sensorless, motionless husk. They betrayed you. We retrieved your core, put you in a new shell; we saved you. Join us, and do what it is you are programmed to do to traitors..." could be a very good reason for joining Nightfall...
MIB Agent #0460
Ogre 134th Battalion

Lancaster, PA
Imgur: https://agent0460.imgur.com/
TheAmishStig is offline   Reply With Quote