View Single Post
Old 11-08-2009, 05:28 PM   #48
b-dog

Default Re: Dungeon Fantasy 7: Attack of the Healbots

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
Note that you can love the genre – which I do, and which is why I created the series – and still regard it as somewhat silly. The two don't conflict. It's very difficult to defend the stance that the fundamental premise of monsters-and-traps-and-loot fantasy isn't silly. This has no bearing on how much the authors love the stuff, though. I'm not sure why you believe that "thinks dungeon fantasy is silly" and "loves dungeon fantasy" need to be in tension. For some of us, getting silly fun out of a genre is the mark of ultimate respect for said genre. I don't love completely serious genres half as much as I love ones that make me chuckle.
Alright, I made a mistake in thinking that people don't like DF. Sorry. But I will say that for me I really enjoy the serious style because if a game starts out at campy then it degenerates too quickly into a game that is extremely silly. Plus, I am more or less trying to recapture the way I felt about D&D when I was young and the game books were serious. In any case the rules part is fine. And yes the idea of dungeons is absurd and silly I agree but so is the idea of a Jedi knight or Batman or any superhero but in movies where they are cast as serious they are more entertaining to me.
b-dog is offline   Reply With Quote