View Single Post
Old 03-15-2017, 07:22 AM   #37
KarlKost

Default Re: [Spoilers?] Blue and Orange Morality: Adapting the Faerie Courts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny1A.2 View Post
A lot of people have observed that there are strong parallels between UFO abduction stories and Medieval stories of Fae encounters, to the point that some believe they are the same phenomenon, either as a psychological matter or some reality that is occurring.
Well, for people that believe in the UFO phenomenon, I guess they would say that all those tales about Fae (and similar myth) would be a way to explain the UFO by people that couldn't possibly know better. For those who don't believe in it, it would be a different form of schizofrenia (I know this is offensive for any one who may be an ufologist, I asure it's not my intention, but I have no way around it; but my point is not about belief in here).

I, personally, love that close relantionship that those tales share (no matter if its real or not). I love to play UFO/FAE as the same phenomenon in my games - in a SciFi setting, Fae are just myths by low tech civilization to explain UFOs; in an Urban Fantasy, UFOs are just a kind of Fae, or are the way that modern people (infected by their "Science") see the modern Fae.

I also think that that's the way to look at Fae, is to give them some kind of inhuman purposes; it must be something beyond just our biological evolution (survive, reproduce). I liked the Fae of Changelling the Lost because they are NOT just random; they have clear, logical purposes (survival, the most basic logic necessity for ANY being). Its just not a LINEAR logic - by the way, our own psychic is not always linear - but its always logic. Even behaviors that we may think are completely ilogical, have a deeper logic - and, in most cases, even an evolutionary purpose. Behaviors like schizofrenia, suicidal impulses, depressive behavior - all those, at first glance, seem conterproductive to any individual, thus, we would expect them to be "removed" during our evolution times in the caves. However, many of those are, in fact, POSITIVE traits, in an evolutionary point of view. Its strange, but the logic behind it is not clearly at sight (some mental diseases are the product of bad genetics however, just like a bad heart, so in those cases are NOT what I refer here. But, something like depression, however, as terrible as it is for the individual, its a "good" trait for evolution).

When thinking on Fae, we must use this kind of "layers of logic". In fact, I would like some help in this, in creating this kind of logic for alien beings. Could you guys help me in this exercise?

Ok, lets do this. So, lets try to give life to those non linear purposes.

First premisses:

Fae, like any being, struggle for survival.
However:
- They may (or may not) have higher purposes than just their own immediate survival.
1. Selfish beings only care for themselves. Like beasts who eat their own offspring, and act only for their own survival
2. Social beings may have "altruistic" behaviors (under quotes, because that altruism of individuals is just a kind of selfishness of the genes. That's a scientific discutission of evolution that doesn't matter that much here and now; suffice is to say, individuals can have behaviors beyond the self interest).
So, Fae could "die for the King" or "the Kingdom"
KarlKost is offline   Reply With Quote