View Single Post
Old 01-15-2009, 07:37 AM   #42
Icelander

Default Re: [Mass Combat] Statting a fantasy army

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal
For clarification purposes - what is it that you envision your unit is taking a round to do in order to switch roles? For example? If the unit is fighting as an infantry unit, chances are good that it is no where near a resupply logistics unit capable of re-equiping the unit with the weapons it utilizes.

One might wonder if instead, you should be treating the entire unit as a composite unit comprised of units that are melee and units that are archer - all within the same unit. For example? Suppose your unit were comprised of 10 elements with the ability to function on the line as melee and as fire. Half of those 10 elements (or 5) are strictly archer units with extra equipment, while the other 5 elements are stictly melee units. Thus, your composite unit is both a fire unit and a melee unit. In theory, the entire unit is "Both", but their equipment is a composite of both functions. Just a thought.
Resupply?

The unit I'm talking about already has crossbows and bolts. They just don't use them while they are fighting as infantry. They either carry them in bags issued for the purpose or leave them with the baggage in the rear rank/reserve.

The round is to ready weapons and change from a formation meant for melee fighting into a formation meant to allow volley fire.

For a real world example, the round would be to allow Light Company skirmishers to fall back to the rest of the battalion and deploy into line instead of their customary skirmish order.

Frankly, with rounds taking up to 30 minutes, it's pessimistic for them to take a whole round for it in many cases. For example, I think the Sassenach Light Companies could deploy into line in several minutes, not a half hour.

But I'll start with it this way and maybe I'll change it later.