View Single Post
Old 09-29-2020, 02:32 PM   #781
Prince Charon

Default Re: Five Earths, All in a Row

Quote:
Originally Posted by tshiggins View Post
Okay, as an occasional contributor to this setting, it amazes me that this needed to be said, at all.

Most people who know anything about this topic simply accept these statements as givens.

While I hope this subject hasn't arisen often enough to make this a necessary post, the fact that you had to say it, at all, is kinda disconcerting, I must say.

If it has been a perniciously recurring notion, then I don't think I really want any details. The InterWebs has too much stupidity, already.

Thanks for sticking with it, though. I look forward to every update, in this thread.
It's not so much that other people bring it up, as that the thought occasionally creeps into my head due to the fact that I'm writing about Literally Nazis, various medieval and Renaissance characters, Misandrist Space Nazis, and so on (meaning that at some point the use of torture may need to be mentioned in-story), so it occurred to me that this might need to be said.

Also, some of the people reading this may not know anything about the topic, or know 'just enough to be dangerous,' so to speak. Due to Hollywood, there are a lot of people out there who probably don't know that there are practical reasons not to use torture, or don't realize that the alternatives are more effective.

I don't recall what specifically prompted me to write this, so it may have been something in an unrelated thread that I read while tired (possibly someone on Spacebattles.com or somewhere like that who doesn't know that the fallacies about torture are indeed false), or it may have been something in the back of my mind for a long time, due to the aforementioned various people in-setting who are fine with doing horrible things to other people (especially people that they designate as 'Other').

"The more corrupt a government, the more it legislates."
-- Tacitus

Five Earths, All in a Row. Updated 12/17/2022: Apocrypha: Bridges out of Time, Part I has been posted.
Prince Charon is offline   Reply With Quote