View Single Post
Old 05-23-2019, 06:27 AM   #5
The Colonel

Default Re: One Thousand and One Campaign Seeds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandy View Post
If I ran a D&D game, I'm pretty sure I know what it would look like. Back in the day, there was a series of seven old-school modules that were for fairly robust characters as I recall. The first three were a series of unimpregnable-fortress-impregnated missions against strongholds of Hill, Frost, and Fire Giants respectively. The next three were a kind of road-movie through a series of underground adventure areas to reach the underworld stronghold of the Drow, the Underdark. The final one, was a multi-plane adventure culminating in a boss battle with a goddess of the Drow.

Greyhawk Overdark. I'd build a campaign based on all those events happening, but in the final fight, the heroes of the prior age lose in the final fight, and the goddess, Lolth, exacts revenge on the overworld, casting the western half of the big continent on the greyhawk map into an eternal night shrouded by mist and smoke. The heroes would be brand new adventurers, ready to find out what happened, grow in strength, and eventually bring back the light.
Allegedly it was possibly to daisy chain their series modules together so that you could start with the T (Temple of Elemental Evil) modules (levels 1-8), move through the A (Slave Lords) modules (7-11) and then roll on to face the GDQ series as above (8-14). I'm not sure anyone ever did.

Would take "some" work to make this run with modern D&D as the old AD&D was a lot stingier with treasure and level progression, certainly compared to a Paizo style "adventure path" like Shackled City or Savage Tides. Also the A series contains a massive railroad that a lot of modern players would use as an excuse to make you eat your screen...

But yeah, if you're prepared to put the work in there's some cool stuff to be made from the old modules.
The Colonel is offline   Reply With Quote