View Single Post
Old 09-06-2017, 12:24 PM   #48
Flyndaran
Untagged

Default Re: Surgery - How does it work?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulzgoroth View Post
As good as new might never happen (I'm not sure 'as good as new' is realistic even with modern care, though the difference might get below GURPS resolution) but the way this stands any sizable wound means the character is going to be at half move and dodge forever, no chance at all to escape that.

It depends a lot on where your HT before the penalty is. At 10, your chances of not bleeding out with that sort of penalty are rather bad (though you've always got crit-fishing). 12+, you've got a real possibility of pulling through.
Real recovery from crippling or even "just" severe injury is like aging. Reality is too depressing to ever model entirely accurately. It's also a bit too random and dependent on too many variables to get more than near the ballpark.
That which doesn't kill you may sometimes make you stronger emotionally, but that's it.

Though there have a few cases of women performing their own caesareans and living. So reality can be pretty wonky at times.