View Single Post
Old 08-17-2012, 10:27 AM   #65
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Default Re: [DF] Summoned allies questions:

Quote:
Originally Posted by munin View Post
I hate to sound like, well, some other people on the forums, but I don't see how any reasonable reader of the rules could have come to that conclusion on their own. Especially with the "a minute seems fairer" thing.

Allies (Summonable) is a transient advantage (p. P154*). It lacks a specified duration because it has an instantaneous effect, the appearance of your ally. ...No?

Is this simply a new ruling, based on your having re-considered the fairness of the cost over the years? +100% has always seemed fair for "summonable anytime, stays until dismissed"†.

* Yes, I know you probably wrote that. Sorry.
† which has always been my interpretation of the Summonable enhancement. The first sentence of the enhancement's description seems pretty clear that its rules are replacing the "once per adventure" part of Allies.
Please see the edited version of my explanation. There's no new ruling at all if you use the classic interpretation – everything in the classic interpretation is in the Basic Set and Powers as written. The new part is the spell-like interpretation, which gives a new benefit ("However often you like") and a new drawback ("But only a minute at a time").