Thread: HEAL spell?
View Single Post
Old 05-30-2018, 06:55 AM   #49
Kirk

Default Re: HEAL spell?

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Bofinger View Post
I've been thinking about what we want from a healing rule and I'm thinking that, contrary to what some have said, what we want is something that lets a party be a never-stopping whirling circular saw of death.

There's a fundamental problem with roleplaying combat: to be exciting the players have to feel they might lose, so the fight has to be close. But if any player characters get killed something precious is destroyed, and if there's no healing even serious casualties is a problem. Making injuries easy to recover doesn't eliminate the problem but it reduces it.

So bring on the easy, effective healing spells. In fact, bring the IQ requirement down. Let everyone have them.
If this isn't sarcasm, then I disagree somewhat. The fear of death and its avoidance is what creates the tension. If as a Player I know that unless I muck up pretty badly my character will survive to continue on to old age, the tension is much less. It also leads to characters that push TFTs bell curve into the dysfunctional range.

TFT works well now, dinking with is to take a risk. I don't want clerics or wizards whose value becomes one of "OK, we heal the party let's move on to the next annoying but not deadly interaction, then I need to go home".

To give value to negotiation and the skills that go with it, whether mimic, business sense, or other non-combative skills, i.e. let's solve this problem without violence, drawing a sword needs to be a serious act worthy of contemplation, or the game is a one-trick pony of bash and crash, take the treasure, yawn...

I don't want to play D&D when I am in Cidri.
Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote