View Single Post
Old 03-06-2018, 07:17 AM   #16
ecz

Default Re: priest and theologian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwforest View Post
I just want to put in a vote for leaving Priest and Theologian as is. The D&D Cleric is a very D&D invention, a strange ahistorical mix of vampire hunter and knight templar tropes and ubiquitous divine magic. Its resonance with fantasy literature is backwards -- things that have come since D&D have adopted some of its tropes, but things that came before don't have much that is identifiably it.

I think Clerics are great in D&D. For me, anything that pushes TFT's Priest and Theologian closer to being a D&D clone takes away from the uniqueness of TFT's treatment of religion. The Priest and Theologian talents are very worthwhile talents with social power in the game setting. I've never seen players shy away from taking them. They also allow for a much more sword & sorcery vibe to deities. Maybe there are no real gods, and priests are cultists and power players in organized religions. Maybe gods are real but are mysterious and unknowable, with many cults with diverse beliefs and internal schisms, and the lack of clerical magic makes them all the more mysterious. Maybe there are strange alien things out there (Lovecraftian things), and they may be worshipped by cultists but do not concern themselves with mortals. Maybe people just worship TFT demons.

Etc.

In any case, there are a lot of games out there with clerical magic baked in such that throwing it out throws the whole system out of whack. My TFT games have included plenty of religions and religious characters (both NPCs and PCs), and the absence of clerical magic is something that has set those campaigns apart from our D&D games. It's part of what gives TFT its own feel.
very good, but while I may have a different opinion based upon my direct experience ( never seen a player spending 3/5 points for these semi-useless talents giving basically nothing) I point the fact that I do not suggest to change the rules adding the divine magic sub-system as I did in my games. I could even agree about the fact that it is not strictly necessary create another kind of magic with divine spells and other, I just asked how you GM/players have played the priest/theologian talent lacking any detail in the rules.

Thanks for all answers