View Single Post
Old 03-03-2018, 03:23 AM   #3
Maz

Default Re: How do *you* build Mechas?

Well I think you should consider what sort of skills you are going to require from the pilots. Which again depend on what sort of actions they are going to take.

First off I would ask myself: How important should the pilots abilities be, outside of Piloting skill?

For instance. A mech build like a machine is going to require Piloting and Gunner from the pilot. But lacks proper rules for making melee attacks outside of "ramming". You could use piloting skill to make melee strikes though. Sort of substituting DX, Brawling or Melee weapon with Piloting Skill. Or alternatively making Piloting Techniques. But in the end, the only skill needed by the pilot is a high Piloting skill. This fits many anime-genres where you have teenages who are awesome fighters in the mech, but not outside it.
This does mean all the pilots are going to be pretty similar in regards to combat ability. With the mech's capabilities being the main difference. (Which is why I would suggest making a lot of Techniques).

Alternatively. You might want to let the mechs be more like powerarmour, which just enhance the users abilities. So to make a punch or kick, your pilot needs Brawling or Karate skill. Or to fire a weapon they need Guns not Gunner. This way the character's skills are very important.

I think both systems work. It depends very much of the feel and theme of the game. Do you want the best pilots to be veteran fighters or to be the one with the highest Pilot skill?
Maz is offline   Reply With Quote