View Single Post
Old 06-15-2010, 07:18 PM   #5
David Johnston2

Default Re: Keep On The Banestorm?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Angel View Post

The first consideration on my mind is trying to get an idea of how the current residents of Banestorm would react to new races suddenly plopping into the setting. I imagine that D&D Elves and Dwarves would mostly fit right in without too much hassle. Eladrin could probably pass as Elves, but they have abilities and a cultural outlook which are quite different. Likewise, while Dragonborn may appear similar to Lizardfolk, they are actually quite different. I suspect the way that Tieflings appear would carry something of a social stigma in the world of Banestorm.
I suspect the way that Tieflings appear should carry something of a social stigma in a D&D universe as well. So just go ahead and give them a stigma on the template.

Quote:
Likewise, I'm a little unsure how to handle Clerics and Paladins of D&D gods. I wouldn't want to suddenly rob them of power and cripple them. Granted, the world hop is something of a suprise, and a little bit of a 'gotcha!,' but I view that differently than I view the type of 'gotcha!' moment which suddenly cripples a PC based on false character building assumptions that may have be provided by this idea.
The easiest way for a Cleric in unconverted territory to retain his powers is to carry a Relic, which is essentially a Gadget with the Sanctity Enhancer Advantage (Just like Mana Enhancer only holier). Relics are extremely valuable for any Cleric who wants to go into a temple consecrated to an opposing deity which are even worse than lands which merely have never heard of your god.

Quote:
Overall, I'm looking for some opinions on what other people feel the impact of new elements (race & religion) would have on the Banestorm setting. Would the new elements draw notice at all? If so, would different areas and peoples of Banestorm have different reactions?
The Christian and Islamic lands would not welcome proselytising pagans. But at least in the Christian lands, you can dub your god a "saint" and move on. Actually a bunch of saints were purged as late as the 20th century for actually being pagan gods. Diana for example. And that's another very real option. A cleric could arrive there and find the god he serves is already there as part of the panoply of saints perhaps under the same name or another.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote