View Single Post
Old 04-29-2019, 11:47 PM   #3
hal

Default Re: Ship's Registration Papers from FAR TRADER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Kane View Post
Would you really need a sector/ world code? I'm, each shipyard would have its own code and no two shipyards should have the same code, though it could be possible in a interstellar government. I seem to remember reading somewhere, that airplanes in WWII use number based on where they were manufactured and what year.
Bottom line is it is your verse, do what you think is right. I could see where there might be a need for sector and world codes. Look up VIN numbers for vehicles. 17 digits long, telling where it was built, which manufacturer built it, which plant it was built at, as well as the serial number of said vehicle
So in effect, what I've done is largely the same thing - each vessel gets its plant of manufacture code as part of its number, plus a string of alpha-numeric characters to uniquely identify it from all other vehicles manufactured at the same plant. Nice to know I wasn't TOO far off the track.

:)

I suppose rather than use a sector name ID and a World ID, I could simply give each sector an ID number, each starport their own unique number, and then continue with the original plan, but this way, I don't have to dig up 36 subsector data files, dig through and get only those worlds with an A or B starport - then assign them numbers or values, and keep a database of what each of those unique shipyard ID values were etc.

One does have to wonder just what the maximum number of hulls are that are produced at any given point in time.
hal is offline   Reply With Quote