View Single Post
Old 07-10-2018, 11:22 PM   #15
Refplace

Default Re: Decreased Mana Costs as an advantage

Quote:
Originally Posted by starslayer View Post

More skill == more spells maintained while still maintaining and effective skill of 16.
More skill == greater ability to deploy area spells in unusual situations (target 'the siege beast' location 'somewhere out there' situational 'on the other side of this wall'; done at -15, got 25 skill; its still worth rolling)
More skill == greater effect (ST 60 DX 30 phantom that needs to take 20 points of damage in a single hit to be killed and no rule of 16 on the disbelief; yes please)

Extra- more magery == greater potential effect (ball spells allow you to charge your magery per second for three seconds, beam spells your magery damage, etc).

Energy/maintenance cost is for the most part 'cheap' compared to the above factors (power items play into that, but powerstones are a thing in a non-DF game and carrying /swapping out a large stack of 6 point powerstones is not unreasonable and will cover most spellcasting situations).
Im not saying reduced FP cost is the only benefit, just the most popular one after a certain skill threshold.
That is 15 in a regular game, 20 in a high powered game.
When pricing the limitation value I wont to cover as much of the circumstances as may come up.
In my experience most mages will have a signature spell or maybe a combo they buy up and the rest they are happy with a 15 skill.
Buffers may work on a few they like to keep up, but thats not that common.
Thats worth 20 points (5 *4) per spell so this limited magery should be around 20 to 40 points. Your trading multiple spells at less energy vs. a better signature spell. To low and its too cheap and effective, too high and you look for other options. 30 pints seems good to me, 10 points way too low.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote