View Single Post
Old 08-09-2014, 09:29 AM   #8
Mailanka

Default Re: [Basic] Skills of the week: Bicycling, Driving and Piloting

Driving or piloting by themselves aren't that interesting. It's what you do with them in a larger context that matters. For example, in a typical GURPS Cabal game, Driving just gets you to the library, or into the heart of the desert, or whatever. It's just a means of getting somewhere, and is about as exciting as Hiking.

In Action or Space, they can really come into their own. They become the killer app for chase scenes or dog-fights. That's really where you start to see people invest in them

That said, I'm not really a fan of characters that focus exclusively on those skills. I've played in an action game with a Driver. The result was you had the shooter and the assassin and the big guy and the infiltrator all go into the building to do the mission (the heist, the extraction, whatever), while the driver sits there bouncing behind the wheel waiting for the one moment where the rest of the heroes will come out and help him. Likewise, in a space game where most of your action takes place on planet, either you're in a space dog-fight scene where the pilot gets to shine (and nobody else does) or you're not, and he's bored.

The best way to use those skills in these sorts of scenes, then, is where either have lots of people with that skill (the Fast and the Furious model of "everyone is a Driver with a bit of something on the side, like big guy, investigator, or grease monkey), or you're in a situation where everyone has something to do, including the pilot, like the Captain-and-crew model (where the captain is shouting tactical orders, and the science officer is detecting weak spots in the enemy ship, and the gunner is firing, and the pilot is out maneuvering the other ship and exposing the ship's underbelly to the gunner)

If you want to bring Drive or Pilot (or... bicycling?) front and center, I think that's how you have to do it.