View Single Post
Old 09-20-2019, 11:12 PM   #182
andreww

Default Re: TFT Helper - beta test of app

Wrong thread? No, it says TFT Helper right there.

Currently there is no format. The locations were not very standardized because I wanted to do different things with them - traps, conversation trees, etc. I didn't do everything I hoped to do, but there it is.

I have been wondering how hard it would be to write code that would accept a "scenario" in CSV. I *think* the answer is "really easy!" Except that to function smoothly in the way we expect mobile apps to function (eg autosaving every bit of progress, even in the middle of a fight) there would have to be a way to store the new adventure on the phone, choose one of the stored adventures to play, store progress in a custom adventure, delete custom adventures, make sure characters don't continue an adventure that has been deleted, etc.

Additionally, Apple, SJ Games, and I would all require the app to check new adventures for security issues. Clever people find ways to give programs bad input so they fail in ways that leave systems vulnerable. You might not think that's possible with a set of rooms, connections, and critters, but I can think of two ways without putting much effort in. Of course, I can block all the forms of attack I can imagine, but I have to spend enough time trying to imagine them that I can be confident I have closed them all.

I love the idea of people creating and sharing adventures. That would be an entirely new dimension to the app. There are things I need to do first, certainly, and I simply may not find the time. But I keep thinking about it...

Last edited by andreww; 09-21-2019 at 11:24 PM.
andreww is offline   Reply With Quote