View Single Post
Old 05-06-2012, 03:59 PM   #20
Hans Rancke-Madsen

Default Re: White Witch Jadis goes to 1940s Europe and allies with the Nazis, A Narnia RPG Id

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndallman View Post
Bear with me a bit, because there's something that happens if Jadis isn't stopped. If she defeats the Soviets with winter magic, she'll want to start imposing winter in Europe in general. The interesting thing is that she'll get support from some Nazi factions for this. There was a lot of rhetoric about how "our ancestors grew amid snow and ice, and were made strong by the cold." Nazism was impractically romantic anyway, and while there will be plenty of Germans who will see that eternal winter is disastrous, what will actually matter is how it gets spun to Hitler, and what decision he takes. And if Jadis has had the sense to use magic to influence him ...
There's romantic impracticality and there's disaster-causing impracticality. Unless Jadis' magic can make crops grow in winter, she'll run out of willing minions fast, and any minions and subjects at all fairly soon after that.
PS. In case it wasn't clear, I'm talking about people either leaving her realm or starving to death.

PPS. This is something Lewis conveniently forgot to address. I suppose the White Witch could have been conjuring up vittles for all the Narnians in the same way that she conjured up Turkish Delight for Edmund, but there's something so pragmatically down-to-earth about the vision of the Witch conjuring up waggon-loads of smoked hams and potted meat and strawberry jam and whatnot, and her minions distributing them, that I find slightly ludicrous.

Hans
Hans Rancke-Madsen is offline   Reply With Quote