View Single Post
Old 11-16-2011, 10:48 PM   #127
Hans Rancke-Madsen

Default Re: 'Imperial Culture' (non-canonista)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak_aramis View Post
The government? Almost none. Academia? A LOT more effort...

A lot of times, the world of academia can be counted upon to align itself with the government's ideals and sing along in harmony out of fear of being legislated into becoming the chorus of the government's song...

Given that there is canon for Psychohistory projects, I'd expect Academia to be discrediting anything which discredits the 3I's efficacy, authority, or authenticity. Mostly because Psychohistory is likely to be done through academia.
The point I'm making is that I don't think that the history of pre-starflight planetary empires would be considered significant enough to discredit anything about the Imperium's efficacy, authority, or authenticity. On top of that, not only do I not see old, old history as being relevant to the Imperium, I see the Imperium as being far too powerful to need to care about good press even if it had been relevant.

As for the canon on psychohistory, the first major experiment was the one that caused the Psionic Suppressions and there hasn't been a second major one since. It follows that any other Imperium-wide psychohistory project is contrary to canon!! (Oh dear, there I go canonistaing again -- sorry!)

Hans
Hans Rancke-Madsen is offline   Reply With Quote