View Single Post
Old 11-16-2011, 10:36 PM   #125
ak_aramis

Default Re: 'Imperial Culture' (non-canonista)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans Rancke-Madsen View Post
At the risk of being a wet blanket (though not, for once, a canonista, since AFAIK there's no definite canon on the subject), I really can't see the Imperium spending much effort on spinning 4 and 5,000 year old history. No doubt there will be Imperiophile historians who will produce highly biased stinkers, but no more than the numbers of Imperioclastic hatchet jobs, and both sides will be despised by mainstream historians. And the Imperial Powers That Be will be sublimely indifferent. How much effort does the American government put inot spinning the collapse of the Roman Republic? How much effort do the Scandinavian countries put into covering up the murderous habits of the Vikings?

Hans
The government? Almost none. Academia? A LOT more effort...

A lot of times, the world of academia can be counted upon to align itself with the government's ideals and sing along in harmony out of fear of being legislated into becoming the chorus of the government's song...

Given that there is canon for Psychohistory projects, I'd expect Academia to be discrediting anything which discredits the 3I's efficacy, authority, or authenticity. Mostly because Psychohistory is likely to be done through academia.
ak_aramis is offline   Reply With Quote