View Single Post
Old 08-16-2018, 07:23 AM   #1893
Bruno

Default Re: Real-Life Weirdness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaraxes View Post
Every dodecadedron is its own set of 12 holes. I wasn't talking about sets of dodecahedrons. Much the way we collect those sizes of screwdriver bits or sockets into sets, perhaps it's a way of collecting a set of different-sized holes, all in one physical object so you can't lose one.
Ah! Ok, I follow you now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaraxes View Post
Not apparently a particularly convenient collection -- a flat board with 12 graduated holes would be a lot more straightforward if it's just a gauge, not to mention cheaper and easier to make.
The advantage of the dodecahedron is that it fits in a pocket/purse/beltpouch a bit more conveniently... but historically people have been happy with punching a hole in awkward tools and simply hanging them from their belt as a display of owning the tools of your trade. Happy enough that having it be some sort of widespread concept seems odd. I can totally think of people commissioning something as a one-off personal quirk but having it be trendy across a broad area is a little odd.

I think it's that it's only found in the colder parts of the Empire seems quite curious, and certainly leaves me more open to the "knitting tool" family of theories - perhaps not knitting per-ce but something involved in making warm yarn or warm fabrics or warm garments?
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote