View Single Post
Old 03-02-2013, 06:41 AM   #397
tHEhERETIC

Default Re: Real-Life Weirdness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daigoro View Post
An abandoned, derelict, rat-infested Russian cruise ship is floating adrift around the North Atlantic. --Linky dink--
And I can't help but think of the 2002 movie Ghost Ship, any time I hear about a ghost ship. Passable horror movie but with a famously awesome opening sequence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky_molokh View Post
It's a weird world where things aren't what they seem nor what they're called. Too bad I can't ever find the percentages of various beliefs and activities. I wonder if the Japanese are more honest with themselves as far as beliefs go, with their Shintou/Buddhism fusion.
Well it is anecdotal, but I've found that when I out myself as pagan here I got a warmer reception--well, until I mentioned the Baron Samedi anyway.
I remember someone telling me a poll places most of them as practicing ritual only and not really believing. I had two thoughts on that--one, was the person polling them conspicuously not-Japanese? That would definitely throw the answers. And two--if those rituals are empty, why do they happen at every meal and on every street corner in addition to festivals at least twice a year? Though the really big production at the mayoral candidate's headquarters could easily have been pandering.

http://s218.beta.photobucket.com/user/lurkingheretic/library/Japan%202012/winter2012%20to%202013/500%20lights

Incidentally the Buddhist temples in this town are amazingly beautiful.