View Single Post
Old 03-01-2020, 07:06 AM   #14
Icelander

Default Real Estate Prices in Historical Contexts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcarson View Post
From a small press publisher I know one thing that prevents some books being reprinted is heirs that don't understand publishing profits. They think that normal levels of money are an attempt to rip them off because they hear about how much big names get. So if a member of the family had moved to New York or Los Angeles and insisted that those proces were what they had to hold out for that might hold things up.
That's a good point.

So, the period I'm most concerned with still requiring an explanation is the first half of the 20th century, until the 1960s. After that date, I have explanations that satisfy me, even if the mansion/house should by that time be extremely valuable if sold on the open market.

Does anyone have the faintest idea how property on St. Charles Avenue or any other places in New Orleans where I might find the right sort of Southern Gothic mansions might have been valued historically?

Say, during the Roaring 20s, was a decaying, old-fashioned mansion with somewhat extensive, overgrown grounds, anywhere in the Garden District of NOLA, as sought-after and valuable (comparatively) is it would be today? Or in the Swinging 60s?

Was there any time during the 20th century where you couldn't get a 'fair' price for an estate like that, because buyers with that kind of money weren't interested in New Orleans real estate?