View Single Post
Old 04-09-2012, 01:35 AM   #7
graham_s

Default Re: Developing Azoth-7

Quote:
Originally Posted by vierasmarius View Post
What sort of armor or vehicles will be available in the setting? I could picture anything from armored knights on horseback, to mana-powered AFVs with gatling rubyguns. Your description of their stagnated engineering tech makes me thing old-school might be a good fit, though. Perhaps a Civil War or early WWI feel, with massed riflemen in relatively mobile formations (compared to Napoleanic-era Line Infantry, at least) and occassional cavalry or dragoons, armed with saber and carbine.
I haven't really thought much about vehicles. I want the space-faring ships to retain the feel of TL-5 ocean-going vessels, though that is obviously going to take an absurd amount of hand-waving. I think there are probably train equivalents available, though I don't have any ideas yet about how they might work. Beyond that, I think people mostly ride horses, though perhaps there are a handful of alchemical cars in the works.

Otherwise, yeah, I'm thinking the major powers have armies that are basically at the Edwardian era in terms of development. They have fairly modern weapons, but they retain a lot of 19th century affections like colorful uniforms and a tactical emphasis on massed manpower. It seems like the major engagements in the setting's history were primarily naval, so I don't think they've had an experience like the Great War to strip them of their outmoded practices.
graham_s is offline   Reply With Quote