View Single Post
Old 03-01-2017, 01:17 AM   #28
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Default Re: Collaborative Worldbuilding Threads

Quote:
Originally Posted by tshiggins View Post
A consortium, at least in most instances. The nice thing about consortia is that they run into the same issues as OPEC and other cartels -- the first to cheat has an advantage, as does the group that exercises the most influence within the cartel/consortium, and those two groups are never the same.

Queue coverups, intrigue and nasty consortium in-fighting!
Oh well, maybe. Just how balkanized the consortium is . . . isn't at all obvious from the vote. If it's as balkanized as the UN GA, that's one thing. If it's something closer to the Swiss Confederation, or EU or the USA's Articles of the Confederation level of unity, that's another thing.
Note that option A says there is no single owner, which implies that all other setups can be in effect treated as single owners. Maybe I'm misreading.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daigoro View Post
My observation was that the conservative, middle answer was getting more of the votes. That is, the voting process moderates the extremer ideas, or the more creative ones, which would've gained more of a foothold in a question-style thread.
Maybe, but perhaps not necessarily. There are cases when people flock to end-of-spectrum votes.

Quote:
To your points, I think any thread is going to lose the interest of some participants as things progress- I don't think that's unique to a voting thread. A voting system is a form of compromise, and a definition of a compromise is a result where everyone is equally unhappy. So while you might feel your preferences are different to the outcome, I think everyone else might also be having the same feeling to some extent.
ETA: That sounds a bit more negative than I intended. I think the point is that whatever the voting outcome has produced, the more interesting part is working with that outcome to produce something creative from it. (/ETA)
In a thread where the central votes dominate, I think centrists are less likely to have such a feeling, while radicals are more likely to.

Quote:
And I think that a thread going the direction of its elevator pitch is a given- first, that's what the OP is seeking to achieve in his thread. It'd be pointless to say "I want a biopunk space setting" but end up with robots fighting space elves because of some weird voting outcomes. And as you say, those interested in that pitch are going to be the people posting. But I'm afraid I've missed your point on this, as I can't see how that's unexpected or a valid complaint.
The latter part should probably not be treated as much as a complaint (sorry if lumping things together made it more complainy). But there may be some less obvious ways in how the first post can influence outcomes. It's probably not something I can coherently recall and formulate at this point. Sorry for the distraction.