View Single Post
Old 02-28-2017, 08:47 AM   #23
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Default Re: Collaborative Worldbuilding Threads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frost View Post
To make an observation of my own for someone who has by his own admission been out of step with the mainstream, your comments have had a surprising amount of influence on how a number of votes were structured leading to some unusual departures from the way I expected things to go.
Could you go into more detail on that please?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Which exact features are the biggies for you?
I'm not even sure it's more accurate to point out specific features rather than the broad trend. I'll list some features off the top of my head:
  • No Aliens, which makes the setting less diverse.
  • I got my big share of parahumans, but I find them a less cool substitute compared to aliens (we already have THS).
  • Modest Biotech. Which lessens the impact of having many parahumans, since the higher the bio-TL, the more options there are and the more interesting they become (especially in the face of de-emphasized AI!).
  • I don't like the narrow artificial gates, they tend to make the world less free to roam.
  • I got my web topology, which makes the world more free to roam, lessening the negative (IMHO) impact of gates.
  • I still think that FTL comms get in the way of many fun plots suitable for PC speculative tramp freighters, mercenary opportunists, pirates etc.
  • I'm awaiting the government votes with some caution, since I suspect that the previous trend will continue, making things like local gate monopolies, highly centralized hierarchical governments etc. (But please do vote for what you consider most fun, don't let my comment ruin your fun.)

Basically was hoping for something more diffuse, diverse, frontierish, experimental, anarchistic, transhumanistic, like Duncanites in THS or the outer rim of the solar system in Eclipse Phase, and instead it looks rather restrained and down-to-earth, like the NASA and ESA projects in THS. Or at least a world that seems to encourage design oriented towards the latter more than the former.

Last edited by vicky_molokh; 02-28-2017 at 08:50 AM.
vicky_molokh is offline   Reply With Quote