View Single Post
Old 07-15-2018, 01:12 PM   #10
RogerBW

Default Re: July 11, 2018: Steve Talks Munchkin Unicorns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jackson View Post
We don't seem to have threads created for the last few Illuminators. I've dropped Jimmie a note.

I wonder if there are enough Sheep Jokes to make it a theme?
There's a recurring problem when the Illuminator post text uses an HTML-escaped character (like "ampersand eacute semicolon", with the first and third words replaced by punctuation marks). (This may be something that the web interface is putting in without the writer's knowledge.) That HTML-escaped entity works fine in the HTML of the page, but it's invalid XML so it breaks the RSS feed… and the posts here seem to run off the RSS feed. I wrote to webmaster@ about this last time it happened, on 29 June, but the problem has recurred recently. (Looks as if it's just been fixed.)

If I were being employed to fix this, I'd either update the posting pathway (the RSS feed is in UTF-8, so you can just use plain accented characters without the HTML-escaping) or run the RSS feed through one of the free validators as part of the standard automated website health checks. Loading https://validator.w3.org/feed/check....urps%2Frss.xml will do it.
RogerBW is online now   Reply With Quote