View Single Post
Old 02-28-2018, 02:30 PM   #1
43Supporter

Default Opinions Wanted re _OGRE In Space_ Movement

I'd like opinions of people who aren't me on a matter which I've been noodling for a bit:

Should _OGRE In Space_ used Vector-based Movement (for ex.: _Triplanetary_; _Star Fist_), or should it use "Star Trek"-style movement (_Star Fleet Battles_; _Silent Death_; etc.)?

Vector-based is more "realistic", and suits the "near future" vibe of the OGREverse; however, it would require either specially-coated mapsheets (so one can scribble vector lines with crayons or markers), or an extra set of counters to show where the ship "will be" next turn if it doesn't maneuver (which means effectively doubling the number of counters on the map), which will become quite complicated in a full-on "Space OGRE vs. Human battle-force" fight (try to imagine the "Mark III vs. 12 AU and 20 INF" using vectors...).

"Star Trek" movement would be far "cheaper" to accomplish, as it wouldn't require the special maps or insane numbers of counters; however, it would end up looking and playing very much like a "conventional" _OGRE_ game, which might lead players to wonder "why bother?".

So, I ask the fan base: How Do You Want To Go Today? :)

79er

The Jeremy Clarkson Debate Course:
1) I'm Right. 2) You're Wrong. 3) The End.
43Supporter is offline   Reply With Quote