View Single Post
Old 10-31-2016, 05:35 PM   #28
Flyndaran
Untagged

Default Re: GURPS non-Phobia technophobia?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
In fairness, I was irrationally irritated by the Cinemark PSA that meant "no texting in the movie" but said "the movie theater isn't the time or place for technology". I think it's interesting that they changed it later to say "BFF" and "LOL" instead of "OMG" and "LMAO" because people apparently complained about the implied obscenity (which didn't even register with me), but kept the seemingly ironic "technology" line.
I thought BFF meant best friends forever.
Technology, if we were really getting technical, would include clothing, fire, literally everything but our naked bodies. Well, I suppose fire shouldn't be allowed in a theater either.
It's a word that everyone seems to define differently especially in different contexts. At least we have Gurps tech levels to give some vague semblance of coherency to the word.

Why can't we just say, "Don't make noises or lights that may bother other audience members"? Making it too specific leads to rules lawyering douches.