View Single Post
Old 06-20-2019, 01:36 AM   #37
zot

Default Re: The (Unintentional?) MMO End Game of TFT

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnPaulB View Post
Perhaps when the characters reach 40 stat points, you should do a Game Apotheosis and start playing ADVANCED TFT (AKA GURPS). It should be easy to convert as there are instructions on this somewhere. I don't believe there is any cap on Advanced TFT.

NOTE: Just as there is a shift in the actual rules and application from MELEE to the more advanced The Fantasy Trip; there is a shift in the actual rules and application from TFT to the more advanced GURPS.
We played GURPS Fantasy when it first came out in '86 or so and had a lot of fun with it but when I got back into role playing in 2004/5, I decided to run something with GURPS Powers (for 4e) and I ended up having to desig all the PCs because the rules were so fiddly with all the point-accounting aspects of the game like disadvantages, formulas to extend range, area, etc. We also found that it was quite a lethal game so not only did it take a ton of work to design a PC but they tended to be short-lived.

In my opinion, that all adds up to a good, challenging, tactical wargame, but not a game well suited for playing stories of any length.

We found other game systems like Tri-Stat, PDQ, and Fate to be much better suited for playing long stories. TFT strikes me as somewhere in-between GURPS and Tri-Stat but easy to house rule to handle longer stories better.

My impression of GURPS as a college kid was very good but my impression of it as a grown-up is very negative and I wouldn't recommend GURPS to anyone. I realize that there are a lot of GURPS fans out there, particularly on this list and maybe I'm missing some fundamental understanding of the game. In my experience, however, most role players make do with what they have and seem to have played only one or two systems assuming one RPG is much like another, but there are many different takes on role playing and no system is actually universal.
zot is offline   Reply With Quote