View Single Post
Old 08-01-2022, 01:58 PM   #3
HeatDeath

Default Re: Tales from the Table

The second scenario was a Smash-the-CP with an Ogre Mk IV. I used my metal Mark IV miniature against counters from the O6e box, and I think this may be the first time that miniature has ever seen combat.

I used the same defending force as in the Mark V Attack scenario - 30 squads of INF and 20 AU. I went firepower-heavy in the balance, while trying to respect the counter mix of the O6e box - 8 heavy tanks, 6 missile tanks, and 6 GEVs. I deployed the tanks and GEVs in a line abreast across the lower edge of the central zone, and the rest of the units in a line abreast across the upper edge of the central zone.

The plan was for the HVYs to take out the missile racks and main battery, and then for everyone to focus on treads. Sadly, no one could hit the broadside of a barn. Two of the missile racks stayed intact well into the endgame, being finally taken out only one turn before they would have been able to hit the CP. Ditto the main battery.

I was able to implement my single favorite tactic in the game - having a line of missile tanks paralleling the stricken Ogre up the board - too far away for the Ogre to fire back at, and too far away to for the Ogre to feel like it can reasonably deviate from the course towards the CP to go and eliminate them.

In the end, it was a heartbreaker for the defense (as this game so often is). The Ogre, at M1, with only 3 tread units remaining, moved into secondary battery range of the CP and finished it off.

[One more HVY strike on the treads would have done it! ONE!]

The defense immobilized it next turn, but it was too little, too late. The annoying part is they still had significant amounts of firepower on the board, just stuck out of position by the Ogre being in among the craters in the NE corner, and/or by having been left behind by the Ogre from being disabled while the Ogre was still fast.

The Mark IV is very interestingly different than the Mark V in this scenario, but I still found it very well balanced.
HeatDeath is offline   Reply With Quote