View Single Post
Old 11-18-2019, 02:22 PM   #4
Skarg

Default Re: Some questions about Melee/Wizard

As for the actual questions asked by a new player of TFT, about typical play (rather than a rule our group never used in years of play):
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluekitsune13 View Post
...The tankier fighter with a DX of 9 couldn't hit the other guy.
DX 9 hits a bit less than half the time, but a heavy weapon hitting a low-ST unarmored opponent even once may end the fight, and can easily happen on the first turn.

This is typical of TFT and different from some other games in that the specific situation and specific results (such as being hit with a two-handed battleaxe once) determine outcomes, much more than general expectations that a combat may tend to go a certain way just because one type of fighter is fighting another type of fighter.

Quote:
The higher DX fighter could hit reliably, but couldn't pierce the other guy's armor. It was fairly balanced to see who would win though. It just took a long time with them swinging back and forth. I was wondering if this is kind of how combat works?
It may be somewhat typical for that kind of match-up, though as mentioned the hit by the stronger figure may happen sooner rather than later.

Or, someone may break a weapon, or fall into HTH. Even more typically, fights aren't just duels between two people with nothing else going on and no one else involved. Facing, falling down, or an Aid spell can increase effective DX by a lot, for example.

Quote:
Next I was wondering about the use of missile weapons. I've found that an optimal strategy would be to just rush at an enemy wielding a bow with your full MA. They get one shot off, and you can't attack, but then they probably have a weaker melee weapon. Doing this, it's easy to get a jump on ranged attackers. It's hard to kite enemies around on the small Melee map. Is this basically how it goes? I could see with more fighters you could set up some dudes in front to allow your archer to be unengaged maybe.
Well, it depends on the details of the situation, but yes, a fighter with melee weapons faced with enemies with missiles generally would want to charge the missile user, or perhaps charge at 1/2 MA and dodge. Or even better, move so that the missile user does not have a clear shot.

Really it depends on the situation, but yes you generally would like to charge enemy missile users or find other ways to avoid having them shoot you.
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote