View Single Post
Old 04-18-2019, 12:01 PM   #2
Shadekeep

Default Re: Gate stabilisation

This is probably excessive pedantry, but such things can be fun nonetheless. I was thinking about what constitutes a single "use" of a Gate, since failure has a chance of occurring after each use. Most of the time this is pretty obvious - a person or wagon or thrown object passes through the Gate, that's a discrete "use". One could think of the activity period as having a degree of latency, so that a whole party moving through in close formation might also be considered a single "use". But I would argue there is also a time component.

Say for example an evil mage opens one end of a Gate in a town, and then travels to his base, where he opens the other end and begins marching his Orc army through it. While this would be a continuous stream and therefore sort of like one "use", I would say that the failure roll should still occur at timed intervals during this use. Maybe once per minute for such continuous use.

Gate failure is still relatively rare, but not so negligible that it wouldn't be a concern for places that rely on them. Right now I'm considering it more from a city-planning aspect than as a regular player.
Shadekeep is offline   Reply With Quote