Thread: Chinese Fantasy
View Single Post
Old 09-11-2017, 08:19 PM   #26
hal

Default Re: Chinese Fantasy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolemnGolem View Post
Seconded - this is a well written setting with good sourcebooks - it has a fairly historically-conscious fluff setting, but adds in some decent powers with fairly appropriate scaling and flavor (as Thaumatology: Chinese Elemental Powers does too, in my opinion).

It is set in the period of the Warring States (shortly before Qinshihuang's ascent) though, so it is a bit closer to Hero than it is to Journey to the West.

Tangent: One thing I thought was interesting about Journey to the West is that it had a couple of acknowledgements to corrupt monks in Buddhist temples around China. It was written clearly with a very strong pro-Buddhist stance, including the casting of India as the land of spiritual source, and Tang Taizong (Lishimin) as the benevolent virtuous Buddhist ruler. But in a few episodes, there are implied instances of embezzling monks (one abbot dashing his head against a pillar when he knows his crimes have caught up with him) as well as physical appetites despite monastic repression (a shapeshifter disguises itself as a beautiful woman and lures one of the monks outside to fool around).

There's also one single episode, about halfway through the story, where all four main bipedal heroes have been captured or isolated, and then the only thing left is the white horse that Xuanzang rode. And the horse turns into a dragon and saves the day! And after that it stays as a horse. (Granted, the origin story does refer to its status as a transformed horse, but it was a one-off performance in the limelight...)
I did some research on QIN: THE WARRING STATES and have bad news to report.

It seems that Cubicle 7 lost the publishing rights or let them lapse or what have you. As best as I can tell thus far, you can't purchase copies of the PDF at this point in time. :(

I thought it was odd that I couldn't find it for sale from RPGNOW.COM even though I purchased my copies through them. I just went on Ebay just now to see what they're charging for copies of the book that way, and thought "sheesh!".

That largely means that the only way we may ever see new PDF's available is if the original author(s) find a new publisher/seller to sell the game through. I believe it was originally a French game. All I can say is that now I feel a sort of sadness that I'd not have thought to experience.
hal is offline   Reply With Quote