View Single Post
Old 08-05-2014, 08:36 PM   #6
TheVaultDweller

Default Re: GURPS Overhaul - Combat Skills, take 2

I have a doubt with your blunt trauma rules, Varyon. Let's ignore firearms for the moment.

From what I understood, if the weapon damage (including cutting/piercing bonuses) is smaller then 0.7*DR, the damage is completly stopped. If it's between 0.7*DR to DR, the crushing part of the damage affects the subject. What I'm not clear is that if this crushing part would be affected or not by the DR. From the way it's written, it leads me to think it's not, which would perhaps be too deadly? Only that it can't be the other way around, because the crushing damage is, per force, smaller then DR and thus DR would fully protect against it. Unless you treat the armor as having 0.7*DR against crushing damage, is that it?

Then, if the damage is beyond 1*DR (or 2*DR for cutting), the damage is applied as cutting or piercing. That would be with or without DR protecting?

Let's take an example to help. Suppose a DR 10 armor, to make the calulations easy.

I hit it with a sword for 10 cutting damage, 8 or which are crushing. Does the person wearing it take 8 damage? 0 damage because 8 is smaller then the DR 10? Or does the armor have DR 7 against crushing and thus the person takes 1 point of blunt trauma? I believe the third is correct, am I right?

Second example is same guy with DR 10 taking a spear thrust for 15 damage points. of which 12 are crushing. He gets 5 points of damage, and then multiply these x2 for 10 points of injury? Or the full 15 points? I believe the first case (otherwise it's too deadly), but I want to make sure.
TheVaultDweller is offline   Reply With Quote